A better answer than EV's

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I'm not sure of the voracity of that website, as their articles read more like Taboola 'click bait' than actual industry news.

It's actually a hydrogen-powered internal-combustion engine, and all they're doing is increasing the efficiency with water injection, and no, it doesn't break the laws of physics.

Plus 400bhp from a turbocharged 2.0 litre engine is not any sort of power/performance record.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
...and BTW, I have no specific aversion to EVs...I just can't afford the one or two EVs that could effectively replace either/both of my current cars:
  • a 320D Touring that will do 700 miles to a tank of diesel
  • a Z4M Coupe that will do 300 miles to a tank of super unleaded, and is great on track and twisty country roads
Maybe a Taycan Cross Tourismo or BMW i3/i5 Touring (to replace the 320D for space) and MG Cyberster (to replace the Z4MC)? Just need the £150k or so to do so.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I drive Toyota hybrid, and know Toyota are doing work on a similar idea
Pure water, or pure water turned into green hydrogen using renewable electricity?

Either would be fine for me...but at the moment our hydrogen is mostly blue/grey!

Although I think the long term solution is 1000KW Tokamak reactors in each vehicle - or a Mr Fusion would do!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Pure water, or pure water turned into green hydrogen using renewable electricity?

Either would be fine for me...but at the moment our hydrogen is mostly blue/grey!

Although I think the long term solution is 1000KW Tokamak reactors in each vehicle - or a Mr Fusion would do!
Just think of all that hot air that politicians emit, maybe we could harness that :poop:

SimonPeters116

As far as I'm aware, we get hydrogen (and oxygen) from water by electrolysis.
And it takes 2 units of electrical power to get 1 unit of hydrogen power, roughly.
This is from memory of basic O and A level physics, 40+ years ago, so have I just plain got that completely wrong?

So, does this race car have a tank of water that it electrolyses to create hydrogen and oxygen, feeds these into the cylinders, plus a wee skoosh of water to boost efficiency and creates 400bhp? If that's what I'm reading, where does the power for electrolysis come from? OK, the engine has a generator, but as it takes 2 units to create 1, that won't do the job. It'll only produce half of the hydrogen it needs, at best. It can also have a tank of pure hydrogen, to last out a race. But would that really be weight efficient in a race car??

After reading the whole article, I'm still not even sure if it is a hydrogen fueled engine, or if it's all about that wee skoosh of water in a normal fossil fueled engine 🤔🤔🤔

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
As far as I'm aware, we get hydrogen (and oxygen) from water by electrolysis.
And it takes 2 units of electrical power to get 1 unit of hydrogen power, roughly.
This is from memory of basic O and A level physics, 40+ years ago, so have I just plain got that completely wrong?

So, does this race car have a tank of water that it electrolyses to create hydrogen and oxygen, feeds these into the cylinders, plus a wee skoosh of water to boost efficiency and creates 400bhp? If that's what I'm reading, where does the power for electrolysis come from? OK, the engine has a generator, but as it takes 2 units to create 1, that won't do the job. It'll only produce half of the hydrogen it needs, at best. It can also have a tank of pure hydrogen, to last out a race. But would that really be weight efficient in a race car??

After reading the whole article, I'm still not even sure if it is a hydrogen fueled engine, or if it's all about that wee skoosh of water in a normal fossil fueled engine 🤔🤔🤔
This is very much my take on it.

A lot of effort is being pushed into hydrogen fuel cells, it’s how we produce that hydrogen that is the delay in making it a commercially viable solution.

I do think it’s one of those things that will be solved with the eventuality of Fusion where you can have exponential power generation from a tiny reactor on board.

SimonPeters116

This is very much my take on it.

A lot of effort is being pushed into hydrogen fuel cells, it’s how we produce that hydrogen that is the delay in making it a commercially viable solution.

I do think it’s one of those things that will be solved with the eventuality of Fusion where you can have exponential power generation from a tiny reactor on board.
Oh good, I haven't totally forgotten all that stuff they jammed into my skull way back in the day 😂

So essentially we'll all be driving nuclear powered cars and lorries.
Hopefully with the reactor in a totally indestructable cell of its own.
I'll never be driving one, I expect, but my daughter might, and my grandkids probably will.
They're working on ''Green'' solutions for power all the time. It's coming on in leaps and bounds. Pressure from Government targets etc, are helping put it at the forefront of car/engine producers minds.

Sorry about this bit, but I think it's an all inclusive thing.
EV's look pretty good, at the point of use. But they need a lot of electric power generation and associated distribution. They're just as 'not green' in the actual vehicle production as fossil fueled vehicles. And battery production and recycling is absolutely horrendous, in a World view. I believe that the World view is what everyone involved should be looking at, in that respect. It's short sighted to only count the ecological damage in your own little corner.

It's the same thing with exporting production of everyday items to India and China, etc. It became uneconomical to produce these items in Western Europe, due to all the ecological rules on waste, emissions and workers wages, rights, etc. So now these are made in other parts of the World which don't have the same rules and rights. That has just moved the emissions elsewhere, but they're still being pumped out into the same World we all live in. Our UK politicians crow about the UK only being resposible for 1% of emissions into the World. But that is only directly responsible. They don't count the emissions in other countries caused by producing items for the UK.
Yes, we get cheap items, all of them. But our job market is in high tech' and low paid service work. So low paid that these days it takes 2 people working, to earn a decent income. In my parents time 1 person working earned a decent family income, a second person working brought in luxuries.

Last edited:

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I think the way hydrogen may go is you'll fuel in a similar manner you did with LPG when that was a thing, I drive a self charging hybrid, which is very economical and a pleasure to drive, even when nearly empty(about 20 miles range of petrol left) it never costs more than about £45 to fill the tank, and that will give me about 450 miles range