New PC to replace old PCS gaming desktop

dan5363

Hi, I'm looking to replace my aging PCS gaming desktop from 2016.

I'll likely keep my current monitor, as it seems to be suitable (ASUS ROG Swift PG278Q 27" (2560 x 1440, 144 Hz, 1 ms). I'm not too concerned about 4k gaming, but can always look at a new monitor in the future if I am.

System will be used for the normal PC stuff, nothing clever. However, I do game and like to run them well (despite my age), so the plan is to get a PC now that will last me for several years again, until it starts to show signs of age. My current PC is doing that (Processor (CPU) Intel® Core™i7 Quad Core Processor i7-6700 (3.4GHz) 8MB Cache, Motherboard, ASUS® MAXIMUS VIII RANGER: RoG, 16GB HyperX FURY DDR4 2666MHz (2 x 8GB Kit), 6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti), but hasn't been replaced for ages due to the cost of running two children.

This is sitting around my maximum budget (£2280), but happy to move a bit either way. I'm not concerned about RGB or anything like that. Quiet and cool is my preference, but am not too concerned about the fan noise.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions. Dan.

Potential spec is below:

Case
FRACTAL DEFINE 7 BLACK QUIET MID-TOWER CASE not set on this, but I prefer understated but that still does the job
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.0GHz/104MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6) happy for this to change if it means saving money and doesn't affect anything really - I'll not be overclocking etc (is that still a thing?)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB) I've read that 16Gb is sufficient, but for the negligible price difference it seems worth it, happy to be convinced otherwise.
Graphics Card
16GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 Ti SUPER - HDMI, DP, LHR It seems there's little between this and the 4070 super at present, but am thinking about 6 years down the road.
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 4700MB/sW) for OS install etc...needed nowadays? My total current is 662.2Gb spread across a 256Gb SSD and a 2Tb HDD (I tend to uninstall games I don't play rather than leave them taking up space).
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P41+ GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 4125MB/sR, 3325MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Processor Cooling
DeepCool AK620 ZERO DARK High-Performance Dual Tower CPU Cooler (is liquid cooled any better? I had it before and it seemed to make little difference)
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence

dan5363

I did go back and forward with that, but wondered about games in the future. I've never upgraded anything internally in a PC (maybe I should) so I plan for a few years.

Thoughts on 16Gb being plenty for the next few years?

I've read it's better to have a pair rather than 1 stick - in which case the next level down is 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 5600MHZ x 1. Or I step down to 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 5200MHZ x 2. Any thoughts on which is better?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
On the. memory front unless anything needs it, it will sit there doing nothing, so will be a waste of money
I think with AM5 DDR5 memory is that you won't get the full performance on a 1x16gb (using half the available channels) or 2x8gb kit (only slower speed 5200MHz kits). Which is why we're building with 2x16GB 6000MHz in most cases.

To the OP...the AK620 will cool the 7800X3D, but it won't be the most efficient at doing so, especially in a 'closed' quiet case, but I don't know where an AIO/rad would be mounted to exhaust the air on a Define case, as the top seems solid.

dan5363

I think with AM5 DDR5 memory is that you won't get the full performance on a 1x16gb (using half the available channels) or 2x8gb kit (only slower speed 5200MHz kits). Which is why we're building with 2x16GB 6000MHz in most cases.

To the OP...the AK620 will cool the 7800X3D, but it won't be the most efficient at doing so, especially in a 'closed' quiet case, but I don't know where an AIO/rad would be mounted to exhaust the air on a Define case, as the top seems solid.
Thanks - would you have any other case recommendations which would suit better cooling? If so, which cooling would you also suggest?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
One of our favourites is the Corsair 5000D/X. With one of those you could fit a H100/H115/H150i cooler in the roof (the H115i is about the quietest), and you can adjust the fan profiles to be almost silent until the workload gets very high.

5000D Airflow is mesh front

5000D.jpg

5000X RGB is glass-fronted
5000X.jpg

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I did go back and forward with that, but wondered about games in the future. I've never upgraded anything internally in a PC (maybe I should) so I plan for a few years.

Thoughts on 16Gb being plenty for the next few years?

I've read it's better to have a pair rather than 1 stick - in which case the next level down is 16GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 5600MHZ x 1. Or I step down to 8GB CORSAIR VENGEANCE 5200MHZ x 2. Any thoughts on which is better?
There are no games that currently use even 32Gb, it's around 22Gb for the largest game currently, and the recent increase has largely been down to the requirements by Ray Tracing and DLSS tech rather than the game itself.

It took about 15 years for us to go from 16Gb to 32Gb, 64Gb won't be needed for an awfully long time yet

This isn't factoring in things like Flight Sims or heavy modding, those are outliers, Flight Sims aren't games, they're intended as professional tools but have hit the mainstream interest. Modding is essentially always in BETA and devs just don't have resources and time to be able to optimise where they'd love to.

dan5363

Thanks, what are your thoughts on my question re the 1 stick v 2 sticks of RAM? What I’ve read seems to suggest 2 is better - however, the PCS builder only gives me the 5200MHZ as the next best option when dropping the Gb down.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks, what are your thoughts on my question re the 1 stick v 2 sticks of RAM? What I’ve read seems to suggest 2 is better - however, the PCS builder only gives me the 5200MHZ as the next best option when dropping the Gb down.
It's dual channel RAM (DDR = Double Data Rate), so works best in matched pairs.

Not sure what you mean by not giving higher speeds for 32Gb, 6000MHz is the recommended, assuming you're on the correct configurator

16Gb isn't enough.

On the GPU as well, no matter how high you spec now, it will be the first bottleneck, and with the way prices rise as you go up the tier, and how fast technology moves (especially currently with Ray Tracing and Frame Generation still being so new), it never makes sense to overspec the GPU, whatever happens you'll have to swap it out after 3 years or so to remain current.

dan5363

Appreciate the reply. I’d misinterpreted your previous post - which makes sense to me now that you’re suggesting 32Gb.

Agreed also on the graphics card, which is what I’ve spent this afternoon looking into. Given my overall spec and my thoughts on trying to keep it for a few years - what are your thoughts on the graphics card? Both in the spec now and what you’d suggest as an alternative if you think there is one?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Appreciate the reply. I’d misinterpreted your previous post - which makes sense to me now that you’re suggesting 32Gb.

Agreed also on the graphics card, which is what I’ve spent this afternoon looking into. Given my overall spec and my thoughts on trying to keep it for a few years - what are your thoughts on the graphics card? Both in the spec now and what you’d suggest as an alternative if you think there is one?
No matter what GPU you buy now, it will start to struggle within 4 years or so, it’s impossible to futureproof gpus.

With the exponential price increase the higher up the tier you go, plus the performance increase on a new generation plus how quickly tech is moving especially at the moment with ray tracing and frame generation still being so new, you simply match the GPU to your current monitor requirements and then upgrade it when you need more performance.

You may not be comfortable upgrading the GPU, PCS do offer that service for you if you wanted and you can request that directly from your online account that you’ll have.

But doing it that way, you actually pay far less and have far better performance ironically.

Regarding the GPU, I would say the 4070 ti Super is worth it given your budget, and you've already got a really decent monitor.