SSD not being recognised

Toto

Hi everyone,

I bought my PC back in July 2020. For the last few months, my second M.2 SSD Drive (2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)) has not been showing up on my disk management / being recognised as a drive. After I restart it, it sometimes shows up but then disappears again. When I go on Steam, which is installed on the drive, I’m unable to install anything as it gives me a “disk write error”. I am also unable to view most of my folders in the drive.

Please could you let me know what I can do, e.g. how to check if the connection is loose? I installed the Seagate diagnostic tool Seatool and Crystaldiskinfo - both of these say the SSD is fine (when it does show up - when my SSD is not recognised, it does not come up on the system).

I’ve had a look at some Youtube videos on how to install SSDs to see if I can fix a loose connection but wasn’t able to figure it out when looking at my motherboard.

Many thanks in advance!

My full specs are below:

Case
CORSAIR OBSIDIAN SERIES™ 500D SE CASE
Promotional Item
Get Assassin’s Creed® Valhalla with select AMD Ryzen CPUs
down_right_arrow.gif
[Redacted by Steaky360]
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 12 Core CPU (3.8GHz-4.6GHz/70MB CACHE/AM4)
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: AMD Ryzen 7 3800X Eight Core CPU (3.9GHz-4.5GHz/36MB CACHE/AM4)
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX X570-F GAMING (USB 3.2 Gen 2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready!
Memory (RAM)
16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card
11GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2080 Ti - HDMI, 3x DP GeForce - RTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive
1TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
2nd M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SEAGATE FIRECUDA 520 GEN 4 PCIe NVMe (up to 5000MB/R, 4400MB/W)
1st Storage Drive
NOT REQUIRED
down_right_arrow.gif
Change to: 4TB SEAGATE IRONWOLF PRO 3.5", 7200 RPM 128MB CACHE
Power Supply
CORSAIR 850W RMx SERIES™ MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H115i RGB PLATINUM Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card
WIRELESS INTEL® Wi-Fi 6 AX200 2,400Mbps/5GHz, 300Mbps/2.4GHz PCI-E CARD + BT 5.0
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
down_right_arrow.gif
[Redacted by Steaky360]
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Platinum Warranty (3 Year Collect & Return, 3 Year Parts, 3 Year labour)

Last edited by a moderator:

Toto

Thanks both - yep, I’m not sure which parts to unscrew. Would either of you be able to point it out to me if I post a picture of the motherboard?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks both - yep, I’m not sure which parts to unscrew. Would either of you be able to point it out to me if I post a picture of the motherboard?
It tells you in the motherboard manual if you look up the nvme section

Toto

Hi all, I’ve tried reseating the harddrive but still no luck. I’ve tried opening the Steam app but I’m getting a “fatal error: steam needs to be online to update”.

Would anyone else have any suggestions or is this a case where I’ll have to replace the harddrive?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi all, I’ve tried reseating the harddrive but still no luck. I’ve tried opening the Steam app but I’m getting a “fatal error: steam needs to be online to update”.

Would anyone else have any suggestions or is this a case where I’ll have to replace the harddrive?
Is the drive still not showing in disk manager or the bios?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It showed up when I first restarted the computer after reseating the drive, but it’s not showing up again after putting it to sleep (the drive appearing and disappearing has been a continued issue).
It’s either the SSD or the port then, nothing to do with windows if thats happening in the BIOS