New PC & Laptop

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Installing Windows without a M$ account is pretty tricky nowadays, you have to open the command prompt during install to bypass the login.

You should still be able to activate it using your key without issues. Did you perhaps miss that step? I would have thought it would have been pre-activated with the key provided from PCS, but if not you can find it in your account and use the Windows Activation program to install the key and get you fully up and running.

With regards to the monitor selection, I'm really surprised that you weren't able to switch. It's typically the theme settings that are locked down, not the display selection settings. Are you sure you were in the correct menu?

Glad that you've just about gotten there, but any issues like this just post up here and we can walk you through them. Very simple solutions for the most part :)

WAWAW1867

Bronze Level Poster
Cheers Scott

Yes it was pre-installed and activated.

It was while i was setting up my monitors, it asked if i wanted to use this as my main monitor and as i was on the main monitor i clicked yes, then i found out it was on about the second monitor and it was too late.

So now my main monitor is number 2 and my second monitor is number 1

All the googling has done no good, i cant find an easy way to switch them around without re-installing 🤬 windows.

Thank You

Regards

Mark

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers Scott

Yes it was pre-installed and activated.

It was while i was setting up my monitors, it asked if i wanted to use this as my main monitor and as i was on the main monitor i clicked yes, then i found out it was on about the second monitor and it was too late.

So now my main monitor is number 2 and my second monitor is number 1

All the googling has done no good, i cant find an easy way to switch them around without re-installing 🤬 windows.

Thank You

Regards

Mark
You can change that easy, right click on the desktop and go to show more options, then display settings, you should see numbered displays at the top, select 2 (the one you want to make primary) and then tick “make this my main display below

1715598110455.png

WAWAW1867

Bronze Level Poster
Cheers Spyder

I have done that already thanks.

It was the actual numbers identifying the monitors that are the wrong way round.

Thank You

Regards

Mark

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers Spyder

I have done that already thanks.

It was the actual numbers identifying the monitors that are the wrong way round.

Thank You

Regards

Mark
It will identify the numbers based on the outputs on the GPU, nothing to do with which one is set as primary or not. It has no relevance to anything within windows itself, doesn't change any workings.

WAWAW1867

Bronze Level Poster
Cheers Spyder

Yeah, it's not affecting anything (yet, as far as i have found) apart from a little bit of OCD.

It just seems stupid, to not be able to change the main monitor to number 1

Thank You

Regards

Mark

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cheers Spyder

Yeah, it's not affecting anything (yet, as far as i have found) apart from a little bit of OCD.

It just seems stupid, to not be able to change the main monitor to number 1

Thank You

Regards

Mark
You can, as already said, it's based on the display output port on the GPU, just swap the monitor cables to the other ports.

It doesn't affect anything though in any way.

WAWAW1867

Bronze Level Poster
Houston we have a problem.

I cannot pull the cable out from the Display Port socket on the rear of the PC.

It is not moving at all, even when pulled firmly.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Houston we have a problem.

I cannot pull the cable out from the Display Port socket on the rear of the PC.

It is not moving at all, even when pulled firmly.
Display port cables often have little release switched on the sides you have to press in to release the catch.

WAWAW1867

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks guys

Yes i pressed the tab but it would not come out.

Turned out i had to really use a bit of force for it to come out, but it is now out.

Regards

Mark

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
I'm a little lost with what the issue actually is. Let me break down my thinking and see if that helps you.

On the GPU the ports will determine the number displayed next to the monitor. If you want monitor 1 to be a specific monitor, it needs to be plugged into the appropriate slot.

If both monitors are compatible with HDMI and DP, you just need to swap the cables over at the monitor side rather than the GPU side.

This seems to be getting over-complicated. Is it because only one monitor is compatible with HDMI?

WAWAW1867

Bronze Level Poster
I'm a little lost with what the issue actually is. Let me break down my thinking and see if that helps you.

On the GPU the ports will determine the number displayed next to the monitor. If you want monitor 1 to be a specific monitor, it needs to be plugged into the appropriate slot.

If both monitors are compatible with HDMI and DP, you just need to swap the cables over at the monitor side rather than the GPU side.

This seems to be getting over-complicated. Is it because only one monitor is compatible with HDMI?

Yes to the last point Scott

Main Monitor (Which is showing 2) is HDMI to HDMI on PC (I only have one HDMI on PC).

The other Monitor (Showing 1) is Display Port on PC to VGA on Monitor.

Thanks

Regards

Mark

Scott

Behold The Ford Mondeo
Yes to the last point Scott

Main Monitor (Which is showing 2) is HDMI to HDMI on PC (I only have one HDMI on PC).

The other Monitor (Showing 1) is Display Port on PC to VGA on Monitor.

Thanks

Regards

Mark

Again, I don't think the picture is clear.

I understand that you only have 1 HDMI on the PC. What connections do you have available on the monitors though?

Monitor 1 - What input options do you have?
Monitor 2 - What input options do you have?

What monitor is currently showing as monitor 1, the one with DP or the one with HDMI?

Are you using a converter to switch from DP to VGA?

WAWAW1867

Bronze Level Poster
Main Monitor (Showing 2) is HDMI to HDMI on PC, the monitor also has VGA

Other Monitor (Showing 1) is VGA to Display Port on PC.

No switches at all, both are direct from PC to each Monitor.

I am off to work in a bit, i will still see and reply but will not be able to try anything.

Thanks

Regards

Mark