Performance Mode and audio stuttering

ahm

Hello all.

I have an i7-8700 Octane and I usually have Control Center in "Entertainment Mode" while playing games. This weekend, just out of interest, I switched to Performance Mode to play AC Odyssey and the audio started to stutter. It stopped stuttering when I switched back to Entertainment Mode.

Does any one know a bit about what Performance Mode is and what it affects? Is it basically CPU overclocking? Why does it cause the sound to stutter? Can it damage the sound card?

Thank you if you know and can answer.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hello all.

I have an i7-8700 Octane and I usually have Control Center in "Entertainment Mode" while playing games. This weekend, just out of interest, I switched to Performance Mode to play AC Odyssey and the audio started to stutter. It stopped stuttering when I switched back to Entertainment Mode.

Does any one know a bit about what Performance Mode is and what it affects? Is it basically CPU overclocking? Why does it cause the sound to stutter? Can it damage the sound card?

Thank you if you know and can answer.
It’s possible it’s thermal throttling.

have you serviced the laptop since you’ve had it?

ahm

Hi Spydertracks. Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by servicing the laptop? Open and clean it?
Also, in general and for my own education, do you know what Performance Mode is and what parameters it alters?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hi Spydertracks. Thank you for your reply. What do you mean by servicing the laptop? Open and clean it?
Also, in general and for my own education, do you know what Performance Mode is and what parameters it alters?
I don’t think performance mode changes anything other than fan speeds and obviously removes any power limitations on the cpu and gpu which the other modes may apply to conserve battery

When I say servicing I mean primarily repasting which would need to be done about once a year, and also cleaning while you’re doing that.

ahm

Oh, I see. I'm confortable opening and cleaning laptops but I've never repasted the CPU. Is it easy to do by myself? Or is it safer to send it to PCS for that, if they ever offer this service?

Also, to be clear, does removing the power limitations on the CPU make the CPU run faster? Can it be assimilated to overclocking?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Oh, I see. I'm confortable opening and cleaning laptops but I've never repasted the CPU. Is it easy to do by myself? Or is it safer to send it to PCS for that, if they ever offer this service?

Also, to be clear, does removing the power limitations on the CPU make the CPU run faster? Can it be assimilated to overclocking?
It’s really easy to do, don’t be worried about it.

It’s better to apply too much paste than too little, but a good amount is a large pea sized in the centre of the cpu die, then reattach the heatsink and make sure to gently screw the screws in the correct order (numbered on the labels).

You can look up videos on YouTube to get a better idea.

ahm

In fact, a PCS engineer called me and said that removing the heatsink myself in order to apply paste would void my warranty so it's better to let them do it which I eventually would. But he also explained that Performance Mode is not meant to be used for playing or for a long time in general, only for short intensive tasks like movie rendering.

I also found out, at the same time, that the Nvidia driver 461 and above was causing a very jumpy framerate to my RTX2060 so I reverted back to 460 which made the framerate immediately stable again.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
In fact, a PCS engineer called me and said that removing the heatsink myself in order to apply paste would void my warranty so it's better to let them do it which I eventually would. But he also explained that Performance Mode is not meant to be used for playing or for a long time in general, only for short intensive tasks like movie rendering.

I also found out, at the same time, that the Nvidia driver 461 and above was causing a very jumpy framerate to my RTX2060 so I reverted back to 460 which made the framerate immediately stable again.
That's not accurate at all I'm afraid and against their terms in their own warranty, we've been dealing with this for years, we know their policy, I'm afraid who you spoke to mispoke:

1626518009559.png

Reactions: ahm