Appreciate any advice on this build I put together

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
First of all I greatly appreciate your input here Spyder. To be honest, I don't think I'm very partial to curved monitors, never tried one personally but I think I'm just too used to straight ones at this point. Any other monitor recommendations for the build you have provided? Thank you again :)

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
First of all I greatly appreciate your input here Spyder. To be honest, I don't think I'm very partial to curved monitors, never tried one personally but I think I'm just too used to straight ones at this point. Any other monitor recommendations for the build you have provided? Thank you again :)
I get where you're coming from, but it's one of those things you have to experience before you write it off.

If you get the monitor from somewhere like Amazon, you have 14 days no questions to return it, you can try it out and see for yourself.

Or head into Curry's if you have one nearby and see one up close.

The thing with curved, it follows the natural radius of your peripheral vision, so it's actually far more natural than flat, but it does take a little bit of adjustment at first.

But all top tier monitors are curved these days as they're just too large not to be.

I would stress though, don't just write it off, give it a try, you can't lose anything. But it will take a couple of days to adjust.

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
Thank you again! Do you think my budget is a little bit overkill for what I'm aiming for? The games I listed as an example weren't really perceived as "heavy" in this thread... I'm wondering if I could achieve smooth frame rates in those games with max settings with a cheaper build. Do you have any suggestions in the £2000-2500 range or would you still recommend me go with your first suggestion? Like I said, I'm happy to just go with a 1080p dual monitor setup aswell.

Also if it means anything this is the desk space I'm working with:

Not sure why the link is so huge...

Last edited:

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you again! Do you think my budget is a little bit overkill for what I'm aiming for? The games I listed as an example weren't really perceived as "heavy" in this thread... I'm wondering if I could achieve smooth frame rates in those games with max settings with a cheaper build. Do you have any suggestions in the £2000-2500 range or would you still recommend me go with your first suggestion? Like I said, I'm happy to just go with a 1080p dual monitor setup aswell.

Also if it means anything this is the desk space I'm working with:

Not sure why the link is so huge...
The issue is you’re basing your expectations on outdated things. You say Max settings, but you’re not exp ed front Max settings as youre not looking for ray tracing or frame generation which is what max settings means nowadays.

Similarly, you’re basing your monitor criteria off having been stuck on an entry level outdated panel tech on a dead resolution. You won’t understand just how awful 1080p is until you see a modern resolution next to it and appreciate how cramped even standard tools are on it, let alone game graphics

Even in the last 5 years, monitor tech and graphics have moved so fast, if you really want to make the most of your budget, you need to be open to these new experiences.

They’re not gimmicks, they make a substantial improvement to the gaming experience, but you have to be open to trying things out.

You've for a healthy budget, why not get the best you can for it. You’re not going to appreciate how bad you’ve been putting up with until you see first hand what’s on offer these days

At the moment you’re saying “I’ve got the money for a Porsche, but I’d rather stick with a 10 year old mazda”

Last edited:

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
I understand, I have just never had a setup as high quality as the one you suggested, but then again it makes sense with my budget. I'm just afraid of maintenance and taking good care of it for such a price, but at the same time I am desperate to upgrade. Would the monitor arm be suitable for my desk? It's not the biggest of desks. Also, how does the cooling look? I'd like to keep things as cool as I can.

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
Sorry to double post, I just want to emphasize that the PC I had before this one was 8 years old, so I'd like this one to be perfect for me it's been a long time since I worried about specs so if anything on the build stands out as bad or incompatible please let me know.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
To put your mind at rest a bit, I also am a bit averse to the hugely curved monitors we've had recently...but I still went for a curved Alienware OLED.

However, it's a very slight curve (1800R)...which means it's only about an inch of curve from the centre to the outers. Anything lower than 1500R is too much for me)...and to explain the curve numbers, here's a handy diagram...

1000r-20211018-6.jpg

As you can see, the 1800R line is almost straight....
design-large.jpg

However, if you're really adamant that you don't want any curve, or don't want ultrawide, then Alienware have a very high refresh, 27", 1440p OLED (AW2725DF) for about £700...

Last edited:

EvilGrins

Bronze Level Poster
Thanks for the response again :) does the build have liquid cooling? Or would you recommend it? I've never used liquid cooling before so I don't know about maintenance and what not

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Yes, it has liquid cooling, but there’s no maintenance required as it’s a self-contained, sealed unit (aka closed loop liquid cooling)

There is another version of liquid cooling called open loop, where the case is filled with colourful pipes, liquid, reservoir tanks, etc. which does indeed need regular maintenance.