Consistent freezing for half a second

started happening last week, not really done anything to the pc interms of installing anything:

so i:

donwloaded drivers for gfx card,
cleaned and optimised the drives
unistalled as much as i could from the drives

all it is is a little blip freeze when playing games, kind of infuriating when all i play is starcraft really!

I went to the factory reset this pc, i chose the download cloud option, it got to 100%, blue screened, none of the options would work apary from the bios screen so i chose windows boot drive, the pc restarted saying nothing had changed.

is there a pc specialst magic option i choose to just wipe the system to the way i got it, bought this thing a couple years ago now!

Thanks for any advice

Optimised the drives. Disk cleaner, defrag, unistall programs and the like. Saved a few gig

ive updated all of the hardware, restarted, ran msconfig and stopped programs, you know, all the usual flake stuff!

specs are

CaseCIT DARK SOUL BLACK CASE
Processor (CPU)Intel® Core™ i7 Eight Core Processor i7-9700 (3.0GHz) 12MB Cache
MotherboardASUS® PRIME Z390-P: ATX, LGA1151, USB 3.1, SATA 6GBs
Memory (RAM)16GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR4 2400MHz (2 x 8GB)
Graphics Card6GB NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 1660 Ti - HDMI, DP - GeForce GTX VR Ready!
1st M.2 SSD Drive128GB ADATA SX6000 LITE M.2 2280 (1800 MB/R, 1200 MB/W)
1st Storage Drive1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
2nd Storage Drive1TB Samsung 860 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (upto 550MB/sR | 520MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY DriveNOT REQUIRED
Power SupplyCORSAIR 450W VS SERIES™ VS-450 POWER SUPPLY
Power Cable1 x 1 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor CoolingCoolerMaster Hyper 212X (120mm) Fan CPU Cooler Black Edition
Thermal PasteSTANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound CardONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Wireless Network Card10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT (Wi-Fi NOT INCLUDED)
USB/Thunderbolt OptionsMIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence [KUK-00001]
Operating System LanguageUnited Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery MediaWindows 10 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account

Last edited by a moderator:

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
thanks, cant find any of this stuff now (the recovery dvd or the product key for windows 10). would i just have to rebuy a key and change it?
The way that Windows licensing works now is that if you buy an OEM version with the PC, the vendor writes a special code in the BIOS that is used only on first activation. The Microsoft activation servers then store your hardware ID (made up of the motherboard ID and the CPU ID) as being a licensed Windows platform. You can thus reinstall as many times as you like, and Windows will automatically activate every time.

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
A simple guide to clean installing W10:

Download a new copy of Windows using the Media Creation Tool to an 8GB (min) USB.
Boot that USB and choose a Custom Install.
Delete all UEFI partitions on the system drive (EFI System, Recovery, MSR Reserved, Primary).
Select the unallocated space that results and click the Next button. The installer will create the correct partitions and install Windows.
Run Windows Update repeatedly, even across reboots, until no more updates are found.
You may need/want to download and install the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia/AMD website (they change so regularly the latest version isn't always in the Windows libraries).

This is also worth a watch

ubuysa

The BSOD Doctor
One thing I can think of that would cause the sort of quick freezing that you're seeing is related to the paging file. Have you followed the (incorrect) advice elsewhere on the web to either run with no paging file or to set the paging file size manually?