Driver Error

AaronM

Morning All,

Looking for a bit of advice!

Received the below build last month and have been prompted through armoury crate to update AMD chipset driver. I have tried this a few times but am getting the attached error. I have looked online and tried to download it from AMD but getting the same thing occur. If I go to the C/Users, I don't have 'administrator' like its listed in the error?

Would appreciate any help/advice.

Case
FRACTAL NORTH TG GAMING CASE (BLACK)
Promotional Item
Get a discount code for 20% off select peripherals at Corsair.com
Processor (CPU)
AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D Eight Core CPU (4.2GHz-5.0GHz/104MB w/3D V-CACHE/AM5)
Motherboard
ASUS® TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI (AM5, DDR5, PCIe 4.0, Wi-Fi 6)
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE DDR5 6000MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 4070 SUPER - HDMI, DP, LHR
Graphics Card Support Bracket
PCS GRAPHICS CARD SUPPORT BRACKET
1st M.2 SSD Drive
512GB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 4700MB/sW)
1st M.2 SSD Drive
2TB SOLIDIGM P44 PRO GEN 4 M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD (up to 7000MB/sR, 6500MB/sW)
Power Supply
CORSAIR 1000W RMx SERIES™ - MODULAR 80 PLUS GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead, 1.0mm Core)
Processor Cooling
CORSAIR H100x RGB ELITE HIGH PERFORMANCE CPU COOLER
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
ONBOARD 2.5Gbe LAN PORT
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS
Operating System
Windows 11 Home 64 Bit - inc. Single Licence
Operating System Language
United Kingdom - English Language
Windows Recovery Media
Windows 10/11 Multi-Language Recovery Image - Unlimited Downloads from Online Account
Office Software
FREE 30 Day Trial of Microsoft 365® (Operating System Required)
Anti-Virus
NO ANTI-VIRUS SOFTWARE
Browser
Google Chrome™
Warranty
3 Year Silver Warranty (1 Year Collect & Return, 1 Year Parts, 3 Year Labour)
Delivery
TIMED DELIVERY TO UK MAINLAND - MON-FRI (BEFORE 2PM)
Build Time
Standard Build - Approximately 4 to 6 working days

Attachments

• Error.png
    Error.png
    15.4 KB · Views: 16

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Wha5 chipset driver version do you currently have?

Have you tried the download from the Asus website?

BTW, I wouldn’t recommend ArmoryCrate for anything other than maybe using Aura Sync or FanExpert, definitely not for driver/firmware updates, as it tends to install wrong/old versions.

The Asus driver page is here…

Last edited:

AaronM

Thanks for the reply. I didn't know armoury crate was not good! Came pre-installed from PCS so just assumed it was ok. It is saying I have 6.01.25.342 and that 6.05.16.221 is available. I tried to get this from AMD but had the same error.

I can try the firmware from ASUS but looks like an older version?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know armoury crate was not good! Came pre-installed from PCS so just assumed it was ok. It is saying I have 6.01.25.342 and that 6.05.16.221 is available. I tried to get this from AMD but had the same error.

I can try the firmware from ASUS but looks like an older version?
Yes, I can see that the Asus version is only 5.03.24.2338 - even though it says it's from 28-May-2024!

BUT, it would help to select the correct motherboard in the first place (I selected B550 instead of B650)!!!!

B650 support downloads below...
TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI|Motherboards|ASUS Global

...but the version is still older than the one installed (5.11.02.217).
2024-06-30_11-20-32.jpeg

Have you tried removing/uninstalling the current drivers before installing the newer ones (as suggested on the Asus notice above)?

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Thanks for the reply. I didn't know armoury crate was not good! Came pre-installed from PCS so just assumed it was ok.
It's installed by the Asus motherboard unfortunately, and has a habit of reinstalling itself (assuming you can actually remove it all completely) if you don't turn off the auto-install option in the BIOS (that may have been fixed now for AM5 motherboards, but it used to happen on the AM4 motherboards).

AaronM

Yes, I can see that the Asus version is only 5.03.24.2338 - even though it says it's from 28-May-2024!

BUT, it would help to select the correct motherboard in the first place (I selected B550 instead of B650)!!!!

B650 support downloads below...
TUF GAMING B650-PLUS WIFI|Motherboards|ASUS Global

...but the version is still older than the one installed (5.11.02.217).View attachment 41452

Have you tried removing/uninstalling the current drivers before installing the newer ones (as suggested on the Asus notice above)?
I haven't tried uninstalling anything. Was just following the armoury crate and the AMD chipset tool prompt which said the driver needed updating, that's when the network resource unavailable pop up appeared. Don't know a lot about PCs so wouldn't even know how to remove an old driver! Wouldn't want to remove the wrong thing and damage something, especially as the PC is only a month old.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I haven't tried uninstalling anything. Was just following the armoury crate and the AMD chipset tool prompt which said the driver needed updating, that's when the network resource unavailable pop up appeared. Don't know a lot about PCs so wouldn't even know how to remove an old driver! Wouldn't want to remove the wrong thing and damage something, especially as the PC is only a month old.
It’s not possible to damage software, only hardware.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
For the chipset driver:
  • go to Settings > Apps > Installed Apps
  • go down to AMD Chipset Software
  • click the three dots (...) to the right of the file size and click 'uninstall'

AaronM

Thanks. Just tried this, downloaded the files from ASUS but getting the same pop ups when trying to install. Very odd!

C>Users>administrator isn't a path that's on the PC? Only have what's in the attached image.

Attachments

• Error 2.png
    Error 2.png
    15.9 KB · Views: 7
  • Error.png
    Error.png
    292.1 KB · Views: 7
  • Files.png
    Files.png
    2.7 KB · Views: 7

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
I don't know what that ADMINI~1 account is about. I assume you are logged in as aaron?

When I try it on my machine, it extracts to C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\AMD\Chipset_Software\{214DC96-C54D...} and then goes ahead and installs successfully.

Although the {204C29E6-1151...} in the first picture seems to relate to the older chipset version (6.02).

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks. Just tried this, downloaded the files from ASUS but getting the same pop ups when trying to install. Very odd!

C>Users>administrator isn't a path that's on the PC? Only have what's in the attached image.
Can you talk us through exactly what process you’re going through to install it?

Right down to what file you’re double clicking, are you elevating it etc?

AaronM

I don't know what that ADMINI~1 account is about. I assume you are logged in as aaron?

When I try it on my machine, it extracts to C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\AMD\Chipset_Software\{214DC96-C54D...} and then goes ahead and installs successfully.

Although the {204C29E6-1151...} in the first picture seems to relate to the older chipset version (6.02).

I am not sure about the ADMINI folder. It is just how the PC came from PCS. I assume this isn't an issue?
I must have been a bit a tool and ran the chipset file instead of the setup file! I have just done ran this as admin and it ran through without the network error which is good. I now have 5.11.02.217 listed in armourycrate as the driver version. It is still showing 6.05.16.2221 as the latest version though and cant seem to find a download for this online.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I am not sure about the ADMINI folder. It is just how the PC came from PCS. I assume this isn't an issue?
I must have been a bit a tool and ran the chipset file instead of the setup file! I have just done ran this as admin and it ran through without the network error which is good. I now have 5.11.02.217 listed in armourycrate as the driver version. It is still showing 6.05.16.2221 as the latest version though and cant seem to find a download for this online.
Ignore armoury crate, best advice is to fully uninstall it, it’s awful software, often leads to BSODS

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
The latest version (6.05.28.016) is via the AMD site (as you correctly pointed out the Asus version was well out of date).

AaronM

Ignore armoury crate, best advice is to fully uninstall it, it’s awful software, often leads to BSODS
oh, Its that bad?? any other software that can keep everything updated or are they all as bad as AC? Anything decent to replace the fanxpert part of it? If it's best to uninstall, is this as simple as going into the add/remove programmes?
The latest version (6.05.28.016) is via the AMD site (as you correctly pointed out the Asus version was well out of date).

nice one! Will try this

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
oh, Its that bad?? any other software that can keep everything updated or are they all as bad as AC? Anything decent to replace the fanxpert part of it? If it's best to uninstall, is this as simple as going into the add/remove programmes?

nice one! Will try this
Windows will update most drivers through optional updates.

For any others you go direct to the vendors website.

There is no "driver updater" in existence, any that claim they do are shams and best to avoid.

This includes AMD's and Intel's updater tools.

AaronM

Windows will update most drivers through optional updates.

For any others you go direct to the vendors website.

There is no "driver updater" in existence, any that claim they do are shams and best to avoid.

This includes AMD's and Intel's updater tools.
That's good to know, thanks. Is it ok to keep just for the fanxpert/aura or can it still cause issues just being there?

Cant install this. It downloads the chipset software application, doesn't download a folder containing setup file like from the ASUS website. Even when running the application as admin, it just gives the same network location error that I have been getting.

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
When I click the download I get a 66.8MB file called 'amd_chipset_software_6.05.28.exe'.

2024-06-30_16-28-59.png

When I double click that it pops up a AUC prompt, and then extracts it to the C:\Users\myusername\AppData\Roaming\AMD\Chipset_Software\{214DC96-C54D...} folder

If your's is trying to install it to Administrator or ADMINI~1 then I'd suggest you're not logged into your own account or something is stopping you from doing so.

You could try extracting the installer from the .exe file manually and running the installer/setup from your download folder...

Manual.png