Driver Error

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Cant install this. It downloads the chipset software application, doesn't download a folder containing setup file like from the ASUS website. Even when running the application as admin, it just gives the same network location error that I have been getting.
You shouldn't need to run it as admin, that may explain why it's giving that error as it's trying to extract it to the hidden admin user profile rather than yours.

This is more and more becoming the case with modern installers, because the installers are no longer installing to c:\program files but instead the user profile where they don't require elevation, if you elevate it will instead install it on that elevated user profile

Teams is another one that does this. You have to run it as the user or it won't install to that user.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Worked without running as admin. Doesn't make sense to me why there is hidden admin users though!

Thanks both, I do appreciate it!
Modern installers no longer install to c:\program files like in the old days

When installing there, that requires elevation as it's a system folder.

Modern installers install to the user profile. This doesn't require elevation as it's your profile.

The hidden admin is present on any modern windows system, this is so if anyone compromises your user account, they don't have admin rights to just go and change anything on the system without having to do some further hacking, although this is more aimed at corporate users. You can unhide it by typing the following into an elevated cmd prompt:

net user administrator /active:yes

You never need to elevate any installer, unless you're on a family system or something where you're not the admin. If you're the admin, just run it normally and it will load the UAC prompt (user account control), and that gives it the admin approval to install.

More and more programs are now installing to the user profile, so this is becoming more and more the standard. So never elevate an installation unless the directions for that installer give clear instructions to do so.

AaronM

Modern installers no longer install to c:\program files like in the old days

When installing there, that requires elevation as it's a system folder.

Modern installers install to the user profile. This doesn't require elevation as it's your profile.

The hidden admin is present on any modern windows system, this is so if anyone compromises your user account, they don't have admin rights to just go and change anything on the system without having to do some further hacking, although this is more aimed at corporate users. You can unhide it by typing the following into an elevated cmd prompt:

net user administrator /active:yes

You never need to elevate any installer, unless you're on a family system or something where you're not the admin. If you're the admin, just run it normally and it will load the UAC prompt (user account control), and that gives it the admin approval to install.

More and more programs are now installing to the user profile, so this is becoming more and more the standard. So never elevate an installation unless the directions for that installer give clear instructions to do so.
Thanks again mate. Trying to learn more so this info is great!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thanks again mate. Trying to learn more so this info is great!
Most of the underlying structure of windows is in fact hidden, and it’s something I have to relearn almost every day.

Ive always been a windows guy since ‘95 and very Microsoft centered.

If you ever find yourself thinking “I wish it could do that” it’s more than likely it can but it’s some kind of hidden thing.

Along with the hidden stuff, that’s where terminal comes in, terminal took over from powershell (which took over from cmd which took over from dos) you can basically achieve anything you want, it’s incredibly powerful.

Its just the GUI side which can be quite limiting.

Linux users are far more used to command interfaces as a lot of the basic OS configuration still needs to be done that way, so they’re far more naturally oriented to thinking “oh I can’t do it in the gui, let’s try in command line”

Its a whole rabbit hole when you get into it.