Noisy Fans?

Anda3

Hello there
I bought a computer from PCS around 1.5 years ago, the fans have always been loud since the day I bought it.
I am now getting into music production so I need to sort this out... Please help

It seems like the fans are always on and running on max power. Any ideas?

These are the specs:
Case
PCS PRISM-X ARGB MID TOWER CASE
Processor (CPU)
Intel® Core™ i9 Eight-Core Processor i9-11900K (3.5GHz) 16MB Cache
Motherboard
ASUS® ROG STRIX Z590-E GAMING WIFI (LGA1200, USB 3.2, PCIe 4.0) - ARGB Ready
Memory (RAM)
32GB Corsair VENGEANCE RGB PRO DDR4 3600MHz (2 x 16GB)
Graphics Card
12GB NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 3060 - HDMI, DP, LHR
1st Storage Drive
1TB Samsung 870 QVO 2.5" SSD, SATA 6Gb/s (up to 560MB/sR | 530MB/sW)
DVD/BLU-RAY Drive
NOT REQUIRED
Power Supply
CORSAIR 550W TXm SERIES™ SEMI-MODULAR 80 PLUS® GOLD, ULTRA QUIET
Power Cable
1 x 1.5 Metre UK Power Cable (Kettle Lead)
Processor Cooling
Corsair H60 2018 Hydro Series High Performance CPU Cooler
Thermal Paste
STANDARD THERMAL PASTE FOR SUFFICIENT COOLING
LED Lighting
50cm RGB LED Strip
Extra Case Fans
2 x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Case Fans
Sound Card
ONBOARD 6 CHANNEL (5.1) HIGH DEF AUDIO (AS STANDARD)
Network Card
10/100/1000 GIGABIT LAN PORT
Wireless Network Card
NOT REQUIRED
USB/Thunderbolt Options
MIN. 2 x USB 3.0 & 2 x USB 2.0 PORTS @ BACK PANEL + MIN. 2 FRONT PORTS

Many thanks in advance!

Anda3

Worth mentioning, I did include "extra case fans" at checkout:

Extra Case Fans
2 x 120mm Thermaltake TOUGHFAN 12 Case Fans

Thank you.. 🙏!

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
It’s just really poorly built im afraid, there’s not a lot you can do with it other than replacing it

The cooler and case are completely inappropriate for the processor, the pump will have been operating flat out 24/7 while it’s still thermal throttling which means the pump will fail fairly shortly.

The PSU is far too low and low tier.

Its just not designed adequately.

Anda3

Hey Spyder,
Thank you so much for getting in touch.

This is terrible news! haha
I didn't know it was such a dire situation; I just selected the "compatible" options that PCS suggested.. Obviously should have done more research.

Are you suggesting I replace the whole PC? Do you believe there are some parts I could replace without throwing the whole thing out?
Look forward to hearing back from you :)

Anda3

Ok thanks guys
In slight disbelief here as I spent around £1800 and I'm still paying for it. Just shows how little someone can know about computers!

Martinr36

MOST VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
Ok thanks guys
In slight disbelief here as I spent around £1800 and I'm still paying for it. Just shows how little someone can know about computers!
Yeah that's why it pays to come and ask for advise here first, a well designed system will last 7-10 years with a couple of upgrades along the way, this is worth reading

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Hey Spyder,
Thank you so much for getting in touch.

This is terrible news! haha
I didn't know it was such a dire situation; I just selected the "compatible" options that PCS suggested.. Obviously should have done more research.

Are you suggesting I replace the whole PC? Do you believe there are some parts I could replace without throwing the whole thing out?
Look forward to hearing back from you :)
If you know how to build you could just replace the case, cooler and PSU. It’s basically a full system rebuild at that point And would cost around £700 for what would be needed

For anyone else reading. The PCS configurator simply tells you what’s compatible with the chipset and what will fit physically, it can’t tell you if the build is well optimised.

And as an SI (system integrator) PCS will just build whatever you order, they won’t offer any advice unless you call them up and ask for help designing something.

So if you don’t understand hardware, get advice. A PC is a system from input (PSU) to output (monitor) but it’s limited as with any system by the weakest link in the chain. This was an expensive pc on many years outdated architecture, and would have performed abysmally as the cpu would be in constant thermal throttle so it’s a complete waste of money

Anda3

Thank you!! You don’t realise how much you’re helping; Hopefully I get this current set-up optimised so it lasts a bit longer 👀👀

Any idea of what exact examples of the case/cooler/PSU I should go for?

Or do you think it’s best to scrap it/sell the parts and purchase a computer if I want it to be optimised for music production? I’m in a bit of a dilema lol

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Thank you!! You don’t realise how much you’re helping; Hopefully I get this current set-up optimised so it lasts a bit longer 👀👀

Any idea of what exact examples of the case/cooler/PSU I should go for?

Or do you think it’s best to scrap it/sell the parts and purchase a computer if I want it to be optimised for music production? I’m in a bit of a dilema lol
11th gen intel were widely regarded as the worst generation of intel ever released, they’re old now but even on launch were labelled a “waste of silicon”

If it were me, I would look at replacing it, even with a suitable case, PSU and Cooler, it’s never going to perform well as the platform was just poor even on release (over 3 years ago)

Intel is just not the right CPU for audio, they run far too hot so the system is always going to be noisy. They also have latency issues. An AMD rig would be far better and far cheaper for equivalent performance.

Last edited:

Anda3

I have a question… because I’m skint, hypothetically speaking. If I were to replace the Cooler, PSU and Case on my current set-up, which ones would you recommend for this system?

Is the Arctic Liquid Freezer III 360mm compatible/a good match?

What kind of case should I get?
Ideal power supply?

Many thanks

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I have a question… because I’m skint, hypothetically speaking. If I were to keep the case and only change the Cooler and the PSU, which ones would you recommend for this system?

Is the Arctic Liquid Freezer III 360mm compatible/a good match?
The case is paramount to the airflow capable for the internal components. Doesn’t matter how good the internal cooling is, if the case can’t move it out it’s still going to overheat.

Anda3

Yes it does make sense.. Okay any examples of a decently good value CPU cooler/PSU/case to get without going bankrupt? 👀