Treating myself to a new oled monitor

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I been told and seen on Internet that my 3080 not powerful for that monitor. Can anyone confirm if that is correct or not please thanks
On any display above about 180Hz, you're expected to reduce settings hugely, that's the whole point of high refresh is that it looks utterly awful but runs extremely fast.

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Gutted. Looks like it got to go back. It won't pick up any signal. Once I connect PC to old monitor it works. Unplug dp and plug into new monitor it works. But when I restart PC and wait for power up. No signal on new monitor

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Gutted. Looks like it got to go back. It won't pick up any signal. Once I connect PC to old monitor it works. Unplug dp and plug into new monitor it works. But when I restart PC and wait for power up. No signal on new monitor
Have you taken the monitor out of sleep before powering on the PC? Likely just needs a firmware update.

Check the OSD for low power settings and disable them, if it then works, it's just a firmware bug.

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Have you taken the monitor out of sleep before powering on the PC? Likely just needs a firmware update.

Check the OSD for low power settings and disable them, if it then works, it's just a firmware bug.
Am speaking with someone from dell. Been on phone over 2hours. They can't figure it out

carlos726811

Bright Spark
When I connect monitor to PC via display port. Monitor won't come on. But if I connect via hdmi. It comes on. So I have to power on using hdmi then change settings to display port which is a ball ache

It just don't want to power up via dp

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
When I connect monitor to PC via display port. Monitor won't come on. But if I connect via hdmi. It comes on. So I have to power on using hdmi then change settings to display port which is a ball ache

It just don't want to power up via dp
I take it it's on the latest firmware?

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
I checked ffirmware and i have the latest one. Dell said i can return for another. but will take over a month as they need to look at this monitor i have 1st
? So they said it was something wrong with your PC but you were already on the latest firmware anyway? Dell would never take a month to check an RMA either, that's really odd.

You sure you were speaking to Dell???

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Yes spoke to dell.. Got all the details. contacts. email address.
Anyway. I managed to sort the issue out now.
I changed 1 setting in Nvidia control panel and now working.
I changed the resolution colour settings from default to nvidia colour settings and changed output from 8bpc to 10bpc. Then it worked.
So i decided to set colour settings back to default. tried again... Ohhh boy, wouldn't post a picture... Changed back to 10bpc. Got post :D
3 hours on phone with dell and backwards and forward.
But yes, i said could i have a replacement please. They said that is fine But will be over a month. I asked why. they said with it being new monitor they need to look into and depends how many monitors they have instock as they still sending pre orders out.

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Been using it for a couple of days now.
Love the glossy effect of the screen.

Blacks. Omg sure is black aswell.

When tried gaming with hdr modes enables. The games looked washed out. Been tweaking stuff and messing with stuff in nvidia control panel. But don't like it with hdr enabled. Hopefully firmware will be able to sort it out. Or maybe I could grab a profile for colour management to us.

Pixel shifting is kinda annoying aswell. When gaming can't tell it's moving. But if u you searching web or watching videos then u can just see it creeping. Pixel shifting kicks in every 3mins.

Also the still some screen flicker going off. I changed dp cables. Turned vrr on and off. Hdr on and off. Gsync on and off. Still having issues with flickering.

So now am in 2 minds.... Keep the monitor and hope another firmware update fixes it. Look around for a colour calibration profile to make it more vibrant

Or return for a full refund. Look around for another oled monitor...

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Also the still some screen flicker going off. I changed dp cables. Turned vrr on and off. Hdr on and off. Gsync on and off. Still having issues with flickering.
I thought you'd arranged an RMA?

How are you benching screen flickering? Are you sure it's the display and not a software glitch?

You can bench the display performance with the UFO test: https://www.testufo.com/

Assuming you've got windows set to the correct frame rates, installed the display driver and you're on the latest firmware, I'd be very surprised if there's any flickering going on outside of a windows configuration issue, there have been no reports of that in any reviews. Similarly with HDR. HDR at this level looks ANYTHING but washed out, that would suggest either it's not enabled on the OSD settings, or some other issue.

If it's happening in a game, it would suggest a windows config issue rather than the display.

carlos726811

Bright Spark
Yes windows set up correctly. I looked on reddit and the is quite of few people having flickering issues. Got latest firmware installed. It's flickering on desktop aswell as games. As stated. Quite few more having issues as all over reddit and Tom's hardware. They put videos up to show what is happening.

SpyderTracks

We love you Ukraine
Yes windows set up correctly. I looked on reddit and the is quite of few people having flickering issues. Got latest firmware installed. It's flickering on desktop aswell as games. As stated. Quite few more having issues as all over reddit and Tom's hardware. They put videos up to show what is happening.
Are you sure you're not referring to the standard OLED flicker though? Have you applied the settings to reduce that? They're default settings that need to be applied for any OLD panel.

I can only find a couple of reports of flickering, this one where they're using the iGPU which is nowhere near powerful enough to run the monitor as it needs to, they also don't state they've updated the firmware or applied any OLED settings in windows:

Last edited:

carlos726811

Bright Spark
*** UPDATE ***

After been using the monitor for nearly 3 weeks now. I can just i am really happy with it now.
Been messing about with settings to find the sweet spot for colours... as stated they all looked washed out..
Bought new DP 1.4 Cables and new HDMI 2.1 Cables.
OMG. Colours, Smoothness of the monitor is outstanding. I could never ever go back to a IPS panel now lol.
With it being oled and people still worries about Burn in ( what i have done )
Put a black screen on desktop.
Put all game icons etc on my 2nd monitor so i have no fear of image retention
Auto Hide the taskbar.
Black screen saver after 1min if i am AFK
I have also seen people stating the screen was scratched when they got monitor. My screen wasn't scratch. Few marks where i put my fingers but used De-Ionised Water to clean it. Now its spot on.
So next thing is upgrade my pc in another 2-3 years :D

TonyCarter

VALUED CONTRIBUTOR
*** UPDATE ***

After been using the monitor for nearly 3 weeks now. I can just i am really happy with it now.
Been messing about with settings to find the sweet spot for colours... as stated they all looked washed out..
Bought new DP 1.4 Cables and new HDMI 2.1 Cables.
OMG. Colours, Smoothness of the monitor is outstanding. I could never ever go back to a IPS panel now lol.
With it being oled and people still worries about Burn in ( what i have done )
Put a black screen on desktop.
Put all game icons etc on my 2nd monitor so i have no fear of image retention
Auto Hide the taskbar.
Black screen saver after 1min if i am AFK
I have also seen people stating the screen was scratched when they got monitor. My screen wasn't scratch. Few marks where i put my fingers but used De-Ionised Water to clean it. Now its spot on.
So next thing is upgrade my pc in another 2-3 years :D
I've been using my Alienware OLED for over a year, and have no ghosting/marks from burn-in.

It is supposed to do a 'pixel refresh' (aka panel maintenance) about every 4 hours, but it's more like 20 hours on mine (less than once a week).

However, mine is only turned on when I'm going to play something, so the desktop and other windows are not left on screen for any length of time...and I don't use it for productivity stuff.

carlos726811

Bright Spark
I've been using my Alienware OLED for over a year, and have no ghosting/marks from burn-in.

It is supposed to do a 'pixel refresh' (aka panel maintenance) about every 4 hours, but it's more like 20 hours on mine (less than once a week).

However, mine is only turned on when I'm going to play something, so the desktop and other windows are not left on screen for any length of time...and I don't use it for productivity stuff.
Yes that is correct. I don't get message stating i need to do pixel refresh. panel health green then goes yellow.
But when i turn pc of and leave monitor on standby it does the pixel refresh.